Registration of refugee or alternative status obtaining, determination of protection from deportation (extradition)
- preparing of application indicating all the circumstances which are the basis to request the status
- collection and registration of evidence and facts mentioned in the application
- customer support and assistance in submission of application and documents in the State Border Service, including filling out the questionnaire
- submission of additional documents
- obtaining of asylum-seeker personal document
- customer support and help during the interview
- obtaining of OCMA decision on taking the application for consideration
- obtaining of OCMA decision on granting the status
- accompanying consultations
Conditions for Granting of Refugee Status
A third country national who on the basis of justified fear from persecution due to his or her race, religion, nationality, membership of a specific social group or his or her political views is located outside the country where he or she is a national, and is unable or due to such fear does not wish to accept the protection of the country where he or she is a national, or a stateless person who being outside his former country of habitual residence is unable or unwilling to return there due to the same reasons and to whom the conditions do not apply may apply for refugee status.
Conditions for Granting of Alternative Status
A third country national or a stateless person who cannot be granted refugee status may apply for alternative status if there is a reason to believe that he or she may be exposed to serious harm after return to the country of origin thereof and due to this reason is unable or does not wish to accept the protection of the referred to country.
Serious harm shall be:
- imposition of death penalty to an asylum seeker or the implementation thereof;
- torture, inhuman or degrading attitude towards an asylum seeker or inhuman or degrading punishment thereof; or
- serious and individual threats to the life or health of a civilian due to widespread violence in case of international or domestic armed conflicts.
Persecutors or committers of serious harm may be:
- the country of origin;
- parties or organisations of the country of origin, which control this country or a significant part of the territory thereof; or
- groupings or persons of the country of origin, if it is possible to prove that the country of origin, parties or organisations thereof or international organisations are unable to or do not wish to ensure protection against persecution or serious harm.
A refugee is issued a permanent residence permit in Latvia.
The person who got the alternative status is issued a temporary residence permit in Latvia for one year.